My first memories of a classic chicken pot pie is having the frozen one from Stouffer’s. I actually still will have one occasionally because they are tasty and has the nostalgia that reminds me of why I fell in love with them in the first place. Chicken pot pie’s are the meal you want on a cold fall or winter night because it’s going to warm you from the inside out. It’s like a warm hug you didn’t know you needed. Making it yourself isn’t really hard and you will have a whole new appreciation for the dish.
Chicken Pot Pie Ingredients
I am not a baker so I do not have a homemade pie crust recipe. Maybe one day down the line I would love to master one but store brought is the way to go. You can even throw biscuits on top and really jazz things up.
The recipe requires cooked shredded or diced chicken. I have a recipe for shredded chicken that can be used for this recipe. You can make your own shredded/diced chicken or buy a rotisserie chicken from the supermarket. That works great and cuts down on cooking time. Don’t be afraid to cut some corners to get dinner on the table.
The veggies are a mix of fresh and frozen. You can maybe find a whole frozen mixed veggie bag to throw in or you can do mostly fresh with some frozen peas. Frozen peas are a must because no one wants to go through the process of fresh peas… no one.
Assembling the Pot Pie
Melt butter and cook onions until soft for about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add the flour and stir constantly for about 2 minutes.
Pour in chicken broth whisking constantly to get out all the lumps. Then, add in the milk and mix together. Add the seasonings and adjust to taste.
Add the frozen vegetables to the pot and mix two minutes. Next, add in the chicken and mix to combine. The chicken pot pie filling is complete.
Line a pie dish with crust. Pour in the filling and then place the other pie crust on top. Seal both crusts together by using a fork. Add slits to the center to allow the pie to vent. Brush on egg wash then place in 400° preheated oven for 30-35 minutes.
Once out of the oven, let sit for 10-15 minutes. Slice and enjoy!
Suggested Equipment for Recipe
Chicken Pot Pie Tips
You sure can!
ABSOLUTELY! Perfect for leftover chicken or turkey.
Why not?! Some frozen vegetables come with corn and green beans.
Yes, just reheat the filling slowly on the stove before adding to the pie crust to bake.
Classic Chicken Pot Pie
- 2 sheets of pie crust
- 2.5 cups of shredded chicken
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 bag frozen peas and carrots
- 3 cloves garlic minced/pressed
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- pinch of nutmeg
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp water
- Melt butter in a dutch oven and cook onions for 3 minutes until softened. Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in flour and constantly whisk for 2 minutes to cook. Slowly add in chicken broth stirring constantly to get out any lumps. Gravy will thicken.
- Add the milk and mix together. Add in seasonings and adjust if needed.
- Mix in frozen peas and carrots and cook for 2 minutes. Then add in chicken and combine. Turn off heat.
- Place one sheet of pie crust in the dish. Fill with the pot pie filling. Place other sheet of pie crust over the top of filling. Seal edges with a fork and put slits in the center so it can vent. Brush with egg wash.
- Place pie in a preheated 400° oven for 30-35 minutes.
- Let sit for 10-15 minutes. Slice and enjoy!