It's officially fall so that means it's soup season! Soup is one of the most comforting things you can have. It's perfect for a rainy day, next to a sandwich, next a salad, on a cold day, in a bread bowl, or just on it's own. Next to french onion soup this is my favorite soup. I've only gotten it from Panera and maybe a Fridays back in the day. My best friend, Ana, said this thee best broccoli cheese soup she has ever had. It beats Panera and for me that says a lot. Every time I make a batch I let her know so I can get some to her. Make this and fall in love with this soup.
2 cups broccoli florets
1 cup shredded carrots
1 cup of gouda
1/2 cup sharp cheddar
2 cloves of garlic
2 cups of chicken broth
1 medium onion diced
1 cup half & half
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp dried basil
1 bay leaf
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1/8 tsp salt
pinch od black pepper
3 tbsp butter
3 tbsp flour
Shredded carrots, chop broccoli into small florets, dice onion, grate the cheeses, and minced the garlic.
Add the carrots, broccoli, onion, garlic, chicken broth, and bay leaf to a pot on medium high heat.
Stir together and cook for 15 minutes while bringing to a boil. Stir occasionally.
When the veggie broth is done, melt 3 tbsp of butter in a different pot.
Add the flour one tbsp at a time constantly whisking.
Once combined cook for 30 seconds then turn off heat.
Remove the bay leaf and add the veggie broth to the roux and stir together.
Add the half and half and put on low heat.
Mix it all together.
Add in all the seasoning and stir together.
Add the gouda and stir until well combined.
Next add in the cheddar cheese and mix until that is well combined.
This is what your soup should look like.
Serve into a bowl and enjoy this bowl of joy!
Broccoli Cheese Soup
Soup is one of the most comforting things you can have. It’s perfect for a rainy day, next to a sandwich, next to a salad, on a cold day, in a bread bowl, or just on it’s own. Next to french onion soup this is my favorite soup.Print Pin Rate
- 2 cups broccoli florets chopped
- 1 cup carrots shredded
- 1 cup gouda shredded
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar shredded
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 cup half & half
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp dried basil
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/8 tsp salt
- pinch black pepper
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- In a pot on medium high heat add carrots, broccoli, onion, garlic, chicken stock, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In large pot melt the butter. Add flour one tablespoon at a time while constantly whisking. Cook for a minute.
- Remove bay leaf from veggie mixture then add it to the pot with the roux. Stir to combine. Add the half & half and put on low heat. Mix together.
- Add all of the seasonings and mix well to combine.
- Add gouda and mix until cheese is melted. Follow that with the sharp cheddar and mix until melted.
Tried this recipe?Mention @itairaeats on Instagram and hashtag #itairaeats!
Leave a Reply