Garlic herb butter roasted chicken is the perfect Sunday dinner main attraction. Who doesn't love a good roasted chicken? This is one of my favorite chicken recipes and will have the house smelling GLORIOUS! The garlic herb butter that is slathered all over this bird is going to keep the chicken super moist and super flavorful. Yes, even the chicken breasts are super moist. The butter helps with the crispy skin, which is key with any roasted chicken. Flabby and soft chicken skin is an absolute no go! It's like having a rotisserie chicken at home.
I made this chicken in a cast iron skillet and if you don't have one I highly suggest you get one fast! You can find one by clicking (here) on Amazon. Trust me you will not be disappointed. It's my favorite pan to cook chicken in. High heat is the best way to cook chicken in my opinion. Slow-roasted chicken is good too but this recipe is half the time and produces tender meat and crispy skin. It will get to your dinner table much faster which is always a plus. My mouth is watering just remembering how good this chicken is. Make this for dinner and impress everyone in your house with this perfect roasted chicken.
Roast Chicken Ingredients
Chicken- The star of the show! This is a whole chicken recipe and the weight of the chicken will vary the cooking time so make sure to check the temperature when cooked.
Herbs- The herbs used in this recipe is thyme, rosemary, and sage. These herbs can often be found packaged together in the produce section of your local grocery store.
Butter- Instead of olive oil, this is the fat being used to crisp the skin and add flavor to the chicken.
Aromatics- Garlic, onion, and lemons give amazing flavor the chicken
Let's Make this Classic Roast Chicken Recipe!
Set oven temperature to 425° with cast iron skillet inside for 20 minutes. If you do not have a cast iron skillet you can use a roasting pan which you don't need to heat in the oven prior.
In a small bowl add butter, chopped fresh herbs, garlic, lemon zest, and 1 1/2 tbsp of lemon juice from a lemon. Mix together and combine. Set garlic butter aside.
Pat chicken dry and lift the skin to spread the herb butter in-between the skin and breast. Spread the herb butter all over the entire chicken on both sides and inside the cavity of the chicken. Tuck the wings under the chicken then season with salt and black pepper including the inside.
Stuff lemon quarters and onion quarters inside of the chicken including the sprig of rosemary and thyme.
Carefully take the hot skillet out of the oven and place the chicken in breast side up. Put it back in the oven and cook chicken for 1 hour.
Take chicken out of skillet and let the chicken rest for 10 minutes before carving.
Everyone's oven is different so be sure to check your chicken in the thickest part of the thigh with a meat thermometer for 165°.
I paired the roasted chicken with green beans and white rice topped with a delicious mushroom gravy I made using pan juices from the chicken. Learn to make that by clicking (here).
Other Chicken Recipes You May Enjoy
Garlic Herb Butter Roasted Chicken
- 1 whole chicken 5 lbs
- 2 sticks butter
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme + one sprig chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh sage chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary + one sprig
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 lemon quartered
- 1 onion quartered
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- lemon zest one lemon
- Preheat oven at 425° with cast iron skillet inside for 20 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl add butter, chopped herbs, garlic, zest of one lemon, and lemon juice. Mix together and combine. Set aside.
- Pat chicken dry and lift the skin to spread the herb butter in-between the skin and breast. Spread the herb butter all over the entire chicken on both sides and inside the cavity of the chicken. Tuck the wings under the chicken then season with salt and black pepper including the inside.
- Stuff lemon quarters and onion quarters inside of the chicken including the sprigs of rosemary and thyme.
- Carefully take the hot skillet out of the oven and place the chicken in. Put it back in the oven and bake for 1 hour.
- Take chicken out of skillet and rest for 10 minutes before carving.
Leave a Reply