Who doesn't love a good roasted chicken? This one is going to have the house smelling GLORIOUS! The herb butter that is slathered all over this bird is going to keep the chicken super moist and super flavorful. Yes, even the breast is super moist. And the skin is nice and crisp, which is key with any roasted chicken. Flabby and soft chicken skin is an absolute no go! I made this chicken in a cast iron skillet and if you don't have one I highly suggest you get one fast! You can find one by clicking (here) on Amazon. Trust me you will not be disappointed. My mouth is watering just remembering how good this chicken was. Make this for dinner and impress everyone in your house.
1 whole chicken (5lbs)
2 sticks of softened butter
1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
1 tbsp chopped fresh sage
1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary + 1 whole sprig
1 tsp minced garlic
salt & pepper to taste
Preheat oven at 425° with cast iron skillet inside for 20 minutes.
In a mixing bowl add butter, chopped herbs, garlic, zest of one lemon, and 1 1/2 tbsp of lemon juice.
Mix together to combine and set aside.
Pat chicken dry. This is key for crispy skin.
Season all sides of the chicken with salt & pepper.
Don't forget the inside.
Lift the skin and spread the herb butter in-between the skin and the breast. This is key to make sure the meat stays moist.
Spread the butter all over the chicken on both sides. Tuck the wings under the bird so they don't burn. Also, please use a bigger plate than I did or it will be messy like this.
Don't forget to spread the butter on the inside as well.
Quarter a lemon and an onion.
Stuff the lemon, onion and a sprig of rosemary into the chicken.
Carefully take the skillet out of the oven and place the chicken in. The chicken will sizzle and you will instantly smell the aroma of the herb butter. I sprinkled a little more pepper on the top of mine but you can omit that if you'd like.
Place the skillet in the oven and cook for 1 hour.
What a beauty! Transfer chicken out of the skillet and let rest for 10 minutes before carving.
I paired the roasted chicken with green beans and white rice topped with a delicious mushroom gravy I made using pan drippings from the chicken. Learn to make that by clicking (here).
- 1 whole chicken 5 lbs
- 2 sticks butter
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh sage chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary + one sprig
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 lemons
- 1 onion
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven at 425° with cast iron skillet inside for 20 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl add butter, chopped herbs, garlic, zest of one lemon, and 1 1/2 tbsp of lemon juice from a lemon. Mix together and combine. Set aside.
- Pat chicken dry and then season with salt and pepper including the inside.
- Lift the skin and spread the herb butter in-between the skin and breast. Spread the herb butter all over the chicken on both sides and the inside. Tuck the wings under the chicken.
- Quarter an onion and a lemon and stuff it inside of the chicken including the sprig of rosemary.
- Carefully take the hot skillet out of the oven and place the chicken in. Put it back in the oven and bake for 1 hour.
- Take chicken out of skillet and rest for 10 minutes before carving.