Zuppa Toscana translates to Tuscan (toscana) Soup (zuppa). This soup is full of kale, potatoes, and sausage so it eats very hearty. The easiest part of this soup is that it's cooked all in one pot, One Pot Zuppa Toscana. You can serve it as a starter like they offer in Olive Garden but it can definitely be eaten as a meal given the ingredients.
The first time I had Zuppa Toscana from Olive Garden I was instantly hooked. I would order it every time I went because I didn't know when the next time I would have it again. I don't go there anymore and I don't feel like I miss my favorite soup because I can now make it a home for myself.
Zuppa Toscana Ingredients
Sausage- This recipe calls for Italian sausage, preferably hot in my opinion. You can also use a mild or sweet if the hot is too spicy. If you are looking for a sausage with less fat, it can be replaces with chicken or turkey sausage as well.
Kale- Kale is easy to prep for this soup and can be done in advance. Wash and remove the stem then roll and give a rough chop. You can store in an air tight container with a paper towel a couple of days before making Zuppa Toscana. You can also buy kale pre washed in chopped in some grocery stores if you want to cut the prep time even more. If you can not get kale you can also replace with spinach.
Potatoes- I use russet potatoes but a Yukon gold will do just fine as well. I peel then cut length wise in half. Then I cut into 1/4 inch pieces. Make them as even as possible for even cooking.
Heavy Cream- A key in this recipe is the creaminess of the soup. Heavy cream gives it a lusciousness that makes it even more delicious. You can also use half and half or even coconut milk if you want to go non dairy.
Let's Make One Pot Zuppa Toscana!
First cook the sausage until full cooked breaking up into smaller pieces as it cooks. Then remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Reserve a tablespoon of fat from the sausage in the pot.
Cook onions for 5 minutes then add the garlic and cook for an additional minute. Deglaze the pot with white wine and cook out for 5 minutes. Add chicken stock then bring to a boil. Stir in potatoes then cook for 20 minutes until the potatoes are fork tender.
Add in sausage, kale, and cream and stir to incorporate. This is also a good time to add salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes. Let cook for 5 minutes until kale is tender.
One Pot Zuppa Toscana
- 3 cups kale stems removed, rough chop
- 1 lb italian sausage hot or mild, casings removed
- 3 russet potatoes peeled and sliced 1/4 inch
- 6 cups chicken broth fat free
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup white whine
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes optional
- Heat olive oil in pot and then cook sausage breaking up with a spoon to crumble for about 10 minutes. Remove sausage with slotted spoon from pot and set aside. Discard all but a tablespoon of the oil in pot.
- Add onions and cook for about 5 minutes until translucent. Add in the garlic and cook for an additional minute. deglaze pot with white wine scraping up any bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Pour chicken stock into the pot and bring to a boil. Add potatoes and cook for 20 minutes or until fork tender.
- Lower heat to medium and add cream, sausage, and kale to pot and cook for 5 minutes.