I have been wanting to make short ribs for the longest time and when they went on sale I thought, PERFECT! It's also winter here in New Jersey so it's a nice warm dish to have. Braising the ribs made them super tender, like they will fall off the bone. The red wine just gives it an extra boost of deep flavor. Throw in vegetables and fresh herbs and you have a pot of deliciousness.
Let's Get Cooking!
- 4 lbs short ribs
- 3 stalks celery chopped
- 3 carrots chopped
- 1 medium onion diced
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp tomato past
- 2 cups cabernet sauvignon
- 2 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 3 bay leaf
- kosher salt & pepper to taste
- Season short ribs with salt and pepper. Toss them in flour to evenly coat.
- Heat vegetable oil in dutch oven. Sear ribs on all sides. May have to cook in batches. Set the ribs to the side.
- Heat butter and olive oil in the dutch oven over medium high heat. Add celery, onion, and carrots and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute then add the tomato paste and cook for additional 2 minutes.
- Pour in cabernet and bring to a boil cooking for 5 minutes.
- Add short ribs to the dutch oven. Pour beef stock over the ribs and add herbs. Preheat oven to 300° while the pot comes to a complete boil.
- Cover dutch oven and put in the oven to cook for 3 hours.